Friday, January 20, 2012

The Lion King

So excited during intermission...

Mean Scar Face!!!


What I know is this...I don't ever want to forget last night. Ever.

I am so thankful that Griffin and I were fortunate enough to attend the traveling Broadway production of the Lion King last night. I could only snap a few pictures with my camera, so I hope the memories of the entire night stay etched in my mind forever.

It was such a privilege for me as a mom to watch Griffin be so excited and entertained. This was his first experience at a theater, and it was a joy to watch his reactions. I seriously would still have been satisfied if I had been forced to face the back of the theater the entire time. My glee was not from the show; it was wrapped up in the reactions of my precious son.

Up until the show started, he was a little unsure of how it would all work. I had explained on the way that it would not be a movie screen, but there would be real live people. He then replied with a HUGE GRIN on his face, "So I am going to see a real lion?" Melt my heart. I ended up buying a kid's program we arrived, so I was able to walk him through the characters and their puppets. His excitement just continued to grow.

From the moment the show started, Griffin had a smile on his face. He was on the edge of his seat the whole time. If he wasn't sitting, he was standing. If he wasn't standing, he was dancing and singing. His eyes said it all.

One of my favorite parts of this production is the use of native African tongue. While I was entertained, Griffin turned to me and whispered, "Mom, I don't understand the monkey's English." Insert smile here.

Still not sure of how the whole people/puppet/animal thing worked, Griffin turned to me after Mufasa's death and asked, "Did he die in real life?" Ahhh, the innocence of a child.

The first time the theater got dark and the audience applauded a big vocal number, Griffin turned to me with a frown and inquired, "It's done?" I explained that it wasn't done. After this happened a few times he leaned over and whispered into my ear, "How about every time it goes dark, I will look at you. Just shake your head if it's not over yet."

During intermission, Griffin began complaining that his throat was dry, so we decided to experience the concession stands and purchased a Sprite. The people around us were very entertained by Griffin's description that his nose felt tingly (from the carbonation) after a few sips.

On the way home, I interviewed Griffin to find out his favorite parts...
  • Favorite Character...Scar
  • Favorite Part...When Rafiki hits Simba over the head with a stick :)
  • Favorite Souvenir...Key Chain
Blessed to be living THIS life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment