Monday, October 22, 2012

Strong Enough

Below is the chorus to one of my current favorite songs:

I know I'm not strong enough to be
everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not strong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
For the both of us

As I look at everything that has gone on in my life in the last few years, this verse reminds me of how faithful God is. While I know that my trials and tribulations are nothing compared to what many go through, it is all about perspective. My perspective. In the last six or so years, my family and I have embarked on so many incredible journeys...some more difficult than others. But each day, I get to make a choice. I choose what to make of each day God has granted me and my family. It's easy to rejoice on the good days. On the bad days, it's easy to say, "I can't do it all."But then I am reminded of this song. I don't have to be strong enough to do it all.

I have been granted the opportunity to pursue my dream of one day becoming a college professor. I believe I am destined to teach other people how to teach tomorrow's youth. Is getting my doctoral degree easy? Um. No. Is it hard to be a wife, a mom, and teach 7th graders full-time in addition to teaching my adjunct class for St. Scholastica? Um. Yes. But I am able to make it work because God is strong enough for the both of us. I normally need 8-9 hours of sleep each night. Really. It's true. I was the dork who went to bed early in college because I would get sick immediately if I didn't. This year... 8-9 hours of sleep just isn't happening. Not even close. *I don't like doing homework while my boys are awake, so I have to stay up late to get what I need to get done. But my friends, my family, and my faith are making it possible, and on most days enjoyable, for me to be everything I need to be right now. I absolutely love my jobs, and I want to help future teachers fall in love with their jobs. God made me to be a wife, mother, and teacher. As a result, I am able to multi-task like it's nobody's business during school and after the kiddos go to bed. I am able to soak up the love and laughter from having two crazy boys and an amazing husband. I can do so many things throughout the day that seem impossible to me. All because it's true. God is strong enough for the both of us.

*I'd be lying if I said I never did homework while the boys are awake. I do need some sleep :) But, I have managed to hold off on homework most nights until after the boys are tucked into bed. This makes me lose sleep, but it's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment