Friday, March 23, 2012

Books Are Always Better

SPOILER ALERT. Do not read this if you plan to read or see the movie!!!

It's true. And it always will be. Books are ALWAYS better. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the movie. It had all the makings of an incredible film. I thought the casting was perfect. I was so in love with a few of the extra scenes thrown in, and I was beyond impressed with how they brought the arena to life.

But when all is said and done, seeing the film reminded me, once again, that reading is always better than watching. Before you hate me, I want to once again reiterate that I liked the movie. I really did. With that being said, it also reinvigorated me to fight the good fight with my struggling readers. With every ounce of my soul, I long for them to realize that reading IS better...Especially when you find a book like the Hunger Games.

Here's why.

Reading allows you to completely fall in love with a character. Yes, people can fall in love with any one of the characters in the film. But by reading the book, you fall deeper in love.

By reading the book, you learn more about "the boy with the bread."

By reading the book, you learn more about Katniss' internal struggle with the love triangle.

By reading the book, you learn more about Rue's love for singing, and how at such a young age, she was in charge of many small mouths to feed.

By reading the book, you learn SO MUCH more about Katniss and her strong desire to keep her sister alive. The movie barely touches on her love for her father. It doesn't explain in detail how her mother falls into such a deep depression after losing her husband that she no longer cares for Prim or Katniss. The movie doesn't explain Katniss' hatred for her mother because of this.

By reading the book, you learn how safe and loved Katniss feels when she is around Rue.

By reading the book, you watch Katniss grow in her hatred against the capitol.

By reading the book, you learn that there is more than meets the eye about Cinna. And Haymitch too.

All of these things make you relate to the novel more than I could ever relate to a movie. Reading makes you grapple with the question, "What would I do in that situation?" And your answer has nothing to do with how someone looks:) (Because let's be honest, I am so Team Peeta in the novel, but I am totally Team Gale in the movie!) Reading opens your heart and mind more than a movie can. And I want my struggling readers to know that. To embrace it. To yearn for it. Because reading is always better than watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment