Saturday, February 11, 2012

Happy Half-Birthday, Mr. Griffin!!!

Today, Griffin is five AND A HALF years old!!! It's true, I had the honor of becoming a mother 5.5 years ago. And seriously, what an honor it is to be blessed by this little man.

School is still going quite well for Griffin. He loves recess (of course!) but loves "stuff inside the classroom too!" I am amazed on a daily basis because of how much he is learning. I am completely intrigued about what he learns in regards to food. He now frequently asks if something is healthy for him before he eats it. Or he will say, "Mom, which one is better for me?" After reading off the wall at school that chocolate milk has more calories than regular milk, he told me that he is only going to choose chocolate milk once in a while :) While we talk about the importance of exercise on a daily basis, we rarely talk about healthy foods beyond the need for fruits and vegetables. I don't know exactly what they have talked about at school in regards to nutrition, but I love that he has already started to apply his knowledge without prompting from us.

His reading and writing skills also continue to bring a smile to my face. Just this morning, he typed me a note on my kindle that read, "We are goin to the mal toda." And the other day, I was brought to tears when I recorded the video from below. Each day, he brings home a book that is at his reading level. He can keep the book for as long as he wants, but he chooses to get a new book every day (this is completely separate from the books he is allowed to check out from the school's library). The books are designed so that kids can learn new words through patterns and repetition. The also contain sight/high frequency words. When I busted out the video camera, it was Griffin's second time through the book. Unfortunately my battery died before he finished, but you get the idea.

Basketball and swimming continue to be his activities of choice. (Let's be honest, though, he would be in swimming lessons whether he liked them or not. ) At lessons on Monday, I watched him swim freestyle across the entire length of the pool. He had to stop and catch his breath while treading water in the middle (he hasn't quite figured out the whole breathing thing), but he made it without touching the ground or grabbing onto the side. His form needs a little work, but I don't concern myself with that. I just want both of my boys to be strong swimmers. I could care less if they swim competitively; I just want them to be strong swimmers from a safety standpoint. And for now, Griffin truly does enjoy swimming lessons and learning different strokes. In terms of basketball, Griffin's favorite activity is a game called sharks and minnows. He is constantly telling me that he hopes to play it at practice.

Griffin is my happy-go-lucky kid. Even the nurse at school says he smiles more than any kid she knows. (Griffin visits the school nurse each day for daily asthma/allergy medicine...twice a day when his asthma is acting up). He definitely likes routine (like his mother), and he is a great older brother. He currently loves salad and ranch dressing, and he would put an entire jar of mayo on his sandwiches if we let him. The two of us also share a passion for mustard pretzels.

And that is just a little update on Mr. Griffin.

I just can't believe he is five and a half years old!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment