Monday, September 5, 2011

Kindergarten Starts Tomorrow!!!

(Picture from Open House on 8/30/2011)

Griffin starts Kindergarten tomorrow, and I am a puddle of emotions. I am so very excited for him to start school, but I am also sad to let him leave "my" nest. I can no longer monitor his choice of friends (at least not to the extent that I can now). I won't be there to help him open all of his lunch fixings. I won't be there to help him pick out a book from the library. I can't remind him to say please and thank you. I can't make him remember to bring home his lunch box. I can't help him get on the bus to come home. I can't be there. And as much as I know he is ready and doesn't need me to do any of those things, it still makes me tear up just thinking about my baby in school. In a classroom. All day. Like the one I teach in. Do you hear that? Those are my tears falling on the key board you hear.

Griffin and I went for a run tonight, and we talked about school the whole time. He just beams with excitement when you ask him what he is looking forward to doing. And he could hardly contain his smile in bed when I went through some last minute reminders. There is no doubt in my mind that he is ready to enter the world of education. I might not be, but he definitely is :)

Sadness aside, I am excited for tomorrow's sendoff and welcome home. I bought cinnamon rolls to make for breakfast and root beer floats for dinner. I am thrilled that his teacher is letting me bring him in early to take pictures before I have to get to school to welcome my own students. I plan to fill up my camera taking pictures, and I am glad that the excitement of my own classroom will help make the day go by quickly.

Because let's be honest, I also can't wait to see him get off the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment