Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mommy Guilt







Why is it that mothers are constantly plagued with guilt or feelings of being not good enough? Sometimes it's absurd when I think about it, but I am no exception to this guilt. I am constantly comparing myself to other moms and think, "Oh, why didn't I think of that?" or "Oops. I probably should do that with my boys." When it comes to spending time with my kiddos, this is an area where I constantly feel like I let my kiddos down. When I spend time with stay-at-home moms or moms who only work part-time, it takes me a bit to stop feeling guilty about the fact that I work. Full-time at that.

But right now. That guilt is far far away. My first week of summer has been heavenly. I get to watch my boys be silly in the morning. I get to go insane trying to find foods Grayson will eat for ALL THREE MEALS. I helped Griffin memorize three more sight words during little g's nap time. I took the kids to pick out a new pool toy. We have had TWO play dates. I am soaking it all in because I know not all working moms get this luxury. Yes, I have a class this summer, and I am attending a few trainings, but for the most part, I am spending quality time with my kiddos. For that, I am forever thankful.

I know I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing. I love teaching middle school students, and I hope to one day work at the college level with pre-service teachers. But I also love my kids to the moon and back, and I am thankful to have this time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment