Thursday, June 2, 2011

Garage Sale

This weekend, we are having our very first Garage Sale. For the most part, the only things we are selling are my clothes and the kids' clothes, toys, and things that they have outgrown, but that still amounts to a TON of stuff. I am definitely guilty of buying WAY TOO MANY outfits for my kiddos.

Now, writing about a garage sale might not seem blog worthy. But IT IS DEFINITELY BLOG WORTHY!!!

We are getting rid of everything baby. Bottles. High Chairs. Onesies. Baby Swings. Sleepers. Car Seat Covers. Strollers. Yep...we are OFFICIALLY out of the baby stage, and we won't be going back.

Part of me is excited. It is so fun and rewarding to watch my boys grow up and develop unique personalities. I love watching Grayson learn about his surroundings, and Griffin amazes me with his intuitive statements and questions. But the other part of me is just plain sad. I know that I have written about this in the past, but putting things away is different than getting rid of and/or selling. There will be no more evidence of "babyhood" in our garage or storage space. It will be gone. (Well almost. There are a few outfits and things that I can't part with, so I have one box of things that will be mine forever. Yep. I will be that mother who will one day open the box and cry as I remember these first few years of life as a mother. Yep. No doubt about it). Gone forever. This finality is liberating. It is. But it's also so very sad and emotional.

It's true. I've said it before, and I will say it again. Kids grow up way too fast. And unfortunately, parents (including myself) sometimes wish periods away. We can't wait until they sleep through the night. We can't wait until they can feed themselves. We can't wait until they can walk. Sadly, though, we should wait. Babyhood is a gift. With all its struggles, it is ONE HUGE gift. If only we could remember that in the moment and not in hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment