Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Minneapolis Half Marathon

Once again, I have chosen to run the Minneapolis Half Marathon benefiting World Vision. The race isn't until August, but I officially started my training program six weeks ago. I am determined to finish this race in under two hours--almost ten minutes faster than last year's race. If I stay on top of my training and stay focused, I know that I can do it.

To be honest, there are many reasons why I have chosen to make this race an annual event. I love being a part of something bigger than myself. It is such a pleasure to partner with an organization as amazing as World Vision. I also like setting goals that require me to push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. Last April, I never thought I would run 13.1 miles. But I did. And now I plan on doing it again at a faster pace. Each time I start a run, I push myself, and the feeling I get after is so worth any of the pain I go through during it. And, let's be real here, I would be lying if I didn't mention how much I like fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes:)

But more importantly, I have chosen to continue raising money and running this race to set an example for my boys. Even at the age of two, Grayson knows that Mommy is a runner. Recently, I began changing into my running clothes about fifteen minutes before putting the kids to bed. As soon as I do this, Grayson asks, "Go running, mommy?" Because I sometimes go for a run while he is still awake, he knows what my running outfits look like. When I kiss Griffin good night, he asks, "Are you going to run, read books, or do homework?" As a parent, it is my job to be a role model and set an example. I love that my boys know what is important to me. They know I love to read. They know I am working hard to obtain my doctorate (well, as much as they can understand that). And they know that running is a priority. As I mentioned in the previous post, Griffin has also become a runner. Even though he is only four, he can run a mile, and he is starting to understand what it means to be healthy. As they continue to get older, I hope to have more and more conversations about these priorities and what it means to be all around healthy. Griffin is also at the age where I can start discussing World Vision with him. It's never too young to start teaching your kids what it means to care about others!

So, will you consider partnering with me? My goal is to raise $655--fifty dollars for every mile. Stop by here to make a donation on my behalf.

Will you help me stay focused on this journey? Check in now and then to see how I am doing.

Thank you in advance for your support!

~Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment