Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A long week...but an incredible God.

The last eight days have been a learning experience for the Dunigan Family. I now know more about Cystic Fibrosis than I care to know. Let me explain...

On Tuesday, March 31st, we were informed that Grayson's Newborn Screening (a test most states require of newborns in the hospital) came back positive for Cystic Fibrosis. In order to officially have CF, one must carry two CF genes---one passed down from each parent. All the newborn screening told us was that he had at least one gene. To this day, we do not know which one of us has the mutated gene that was passed down to him; however, based on family history, it is likely that I (Sandra) am the CF carrier.

In order to find out whether or not Grayson had CF, we had to take him to a geneticist at the University of Minnesota-Children's Hospital to receive further testing. Unfortunately, we had to wait an entire week to get him tested due to his age:( Today Grayson had his sweat-chloride testing, and we are thrilled to report that he is only a carrier of one gene; he does NOT have Cystic Fibrosis.

This last week was a whirlwind of emotions as I grappled with the possibility of Grayson having CF. It was tough realizing that God had possibly planned for Grayson's life to be different than what I had planned for him. However, despite the occasional "why me" and "why Grayson" I knew that I could still praise my God through this storm. Although I questioned what was happening, I knew that my God was good no matter the outcome.

As I reflect on the week, it didn't take me long to figure out why God put our family through this. For the first time, I was literally brought to my knees in prayer. I wept in prayer, and I praised in prayer. My trust in God's plan was tested, and I can honestly say that prior to knowing today's test results, I trusted that God would have his hand in this...no matter what. I truly learned that God can heal, God can take away, God can throw curve balls. But, God is still faithful, and His plans are always better than mine, despite initial thoughts. I was also reminded once again that I have amazing people in my life who will also help me through any tough times life throws my way.

A verse from Proverbs was shown to me this week, and my how I clung to it. "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9. It is my prayer that you can learn from this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment